Thursday, January 17, 2013

Wake Up Call

I find it sad to realize how little people care anymore. When did the "its not our problem" mentality take over? 
 I remember how shocked/confused/grateful I was when we first made the move from Mexico to Miami and I realized; there were no kids or grown-ups in tattered clothes begging for money at every stop sign. No poor soul tossing dirty water on the windshield of our car in the hopes of earning a few pesos or cents. There were kids playing outdoors with out supervision; just being kids, ridding their bikes or skateboards or whatever, with out being afraid to get kidnapped. There were people acknowledging one another and neighbors bringing welcome baskets. In short, I though I was in paradise. 
But the problem with the paradise mentality (I have come to realize over the last few years) is that the people in paradise have a harder time seeing, acknowledging, or caring about all the suffering that still exists. 

Please don’t misunderstand what I am saying. I don’t mean that all people in America are selfish, or uncaring. All I’m saying is we have been in a way sheltered from all that plagues many countries with less good fortune than ours. And since, we don’t have much of this pain staring us right in the face on a daily basis, it is easy to forget.
Easy to say that homeless people are homeless because they are lazy (an argument I detest but hear from people constantly) It is easy for people to say what goes on in other countries, with people who are miles away, is "not our problem" or "not for us to fix".
Easy to begin to believe the lie that we can not get involved in other people’s pain because we have nothing to do with them and we should not stick our noses where they don’t belong.

It is easy to slander those trying to help because they must have a secret agenda (and unfortunately, some do because they don’t care for the right reasons or they have been approaching things from the wrong angle) or saying that they are only trying to "cure" or get rid of some "guilt" and that’s the only reason they want to help and therefore they are wrong. 

I mean; when did we forget to go beyond our white picket fences? When did we decide we are better than everyone else? When did we stop caring? When did we decide to turn a blind eye? And why? Why did we stop? Did we forget we are all, each and every one of us, important? Do we not see we are all alive? Why is it wrong to want to help? Why is it wrong to want to make a difference, to help others all over the world heal so they can live life in happiness?

Why is it more important for us to know very single detail (true and made up) about celebrities, but not about what goes on around the world? 
Why do we think it is ok to "pretend" to care and donate a few dollars here and there to some charity or another and not know or care what happens to our money or what they do with it? Why is it ok for people to throw lavish parties in “honor” of this or that when all the millions or thousands they spent on decorations, music and orderves can be put to much better use somewhere else? 

Since when is it more important to "have it all" and spend all our money on lavish, expensive ridiculousness (like private jet planes or million dollar purses) instead of helping to make a difference for someone, somewhere? (could even be someone in this country, town, city, neighborhood or community)

HELLO!!! WAKE UP!!! WE ARE ALL ONE!!!
We are all living, feeling creatures (and this extends to animals too by the way because torturing an innocent being for the sake of lipstick or so called necessary food is repulsive. just f.y.i.).
We all breathe the same air, share the same molecular space and inhabit the same freaking planet. 
 So no, you and I as individuals are not the only ones that matter. We... WE ALL MATTER! 
I think its time we all cared. Time we all stopped waging stupid wars and killing unnecessarily. Time we came together as one and helped one another. Why is this so hard? Why is it (apparently) too much to ask for? 
 Well, I know one thing, I may not be able to change the whole world, but I am able to change me.
So I care, I know we all matter. I can make a difference and I am aware and willing to help everyone, even in the smallest of ways. Because change starts from with in. Change starts with me.
Just some food for thought. ... This is what apparently happens when Glory wakes up crying at 5am and her pain cuts me so deeply, I suddenly become aware she may not be the only one crying right now. And the whole thing brings a chill and an acute awareness and sadness this morning.
Loka Samasta Sukino Bhavabtu.OM Shanti, Shanti, Shanti

No comments:

Post a Comment